Tuesday, August 12, 2008

DAN!

I talked it over with my husband and we have decided to go to a DAN! for a consult. Austin's appointment is September 11th.

To gear up for it, I'm currently reading Healing the New Childhood Epidemics: Autism, ADHD, Asthma, and Allergies by Kenneth Bock, M.D., and Cameron Stauth. It was recommeded to me by Molly over at Zavier's Journey. It's a great book and has given me some great information on why the DAN! approach can and does help a lot of kids with any of the above mentioned disorders. I see why healing the gut and providing supplaments can help and it's exciting to have something to look forward to and have some more hope although I know it is not a magical cure by any means. Dr. Bock himself says that it is a combination of diet, supplaments, therapy, etc.. that will help our children. Also it is not an overnight cure but rather a marathon instead of sprint.

4 comments:

Cyndi said...

Good for you...which doc are you going to see? We have noticed big improvements in Matthew with just the diet and vitamin supplements. Our kids have deficienies and regular pediatricians don't test for these! Make sure they test him for yeast and bacteria in his gut as well. We never thought Matthew had probs like that and then the tests came back positive for yeast. Now I can recognize the signs when he's getting "yeasty" and deal with it...before I had no clue! You will learn a lot, and Dr Bock's book is great..and Molly is the bio-med Goddess!

Unknown said...

We are going to Dr. Sears. Thanks for the advice. I will definitely ask. I'm still a little unsure b/c Austin doesn't have alot of the signs mentioned such as dark circles under the eyes, bloated, thin, etc.. but I guess you never know until all the testing is done.

Unknown said...

A DAN doctor is great resource for helping your child. I agree with Cyndi, regular pediatricians don't get it. I don't know where you live, but there is a conference in NYC October 11th and 12th that you might be interested in. see www.naanyc.org for more info.

Unknown said...

Thanks :) We had our first visit 9/11 with our DAN! We are in San Diego so I have information about conferences going on here.