Friday, March 6, 2009

Baking is hard!

Grrr... So I've been trying to find some good muffin recipes to start baking so that Austin can have something else to eat for breakfast. I scoured the internet and found a rice flour muffin recipe. I checked and I had all the ingredients so I decided to make blueberry muffins. What a disaster. I think the recipe did not call for enough liquid because I followed everything to a T and it was like dough instead of muffin batter. Then I though well this is GFCF baking so maybe it is supposed to be this way. I went ahead and baked the dough in muffin cups and they were terrible. They stayed the same shape, did not cook well, and of course were awful tasting. To the trash they went and back to the internet I went. I found a good looking banana chocolate chip recipe from GFCFmommy.blogspot.com and once again I had everything to make it. These ones actually turned out well for us but the taste is very different than regular muffins. I almost think they taste like banana chocolate cardboard but I'm not sure if that is how most GFCF bread products taste like since we are new to baking. I made them from scratch and plan to try again with gluten free pantry muffin mix. I'll be back to report!

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

I always use Jules' Gluten Free flour for baking--it helps so much! She has some great muffin recipes that my whole family (mix of gf and non-gf) love! We order it online and you can even order a sample pack for a few bucks to test it out (and a banana blue-berry recipe that's meant for the sample pack.) This flour is 1-1 in regular recipes, which makes life SO much easier. (I even make tollhouse chocolate chip cookies again!)