Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Birthday Cake!



We celebrated Kaitlin's 2nd birthday this past weekend and I knew we needed to have something that everyone could eat. I really wanted to try a new cake mix and thought about Cherrybrook Farms but after reading mixed reviews on Amazon, I went with our favorite from Pamela's. I've only made cupcakes with her mix before but they are always excellent. This is more of a dark chocolate flavor cake. What is also great is that the mix can be made several ways all listed on the package including an egg free version which is perfect for us. Beside the egg replacer, all that is needed is oil and water. I made the frosting from earth balance shortening, confectioner's sugar, salt, water, and a tiny drop of red food coloring. I would have preferred not to use it but I haven't had much luck in locating the natural food coloring here. I thought the cake came out perfect - I baked it using the preferred method which said to do so in two 8in. round pans.

1 comment:

Ms Amanda said...

Have you tried the Namaste GF mixes? Our family has many Celiacs in it so we make every effort to provide GF options/replacements. We love the Namaste chocolate cake so much we never make anything else. In fact my non-GF daughter wants it for her 16th birthday this week. It's a bit spendy, but well worth it!