Monday, July 28, 2008

Round 2?

I've been thinking about Austin alot (well actually I'm always thinking about him) but I often wonder if I'm doing a good enough job as a parent especially when it comes to him. I wonder if I need to at least try to see a DAN! so I can make sure that I gave it a shot even if it doesn't work for us. Lately I've really been thinking about going GF/CF again. We did 3 months last time and saw zero improvements but then I always tell myself I should have waited 6 months and I should not have given him soy milk but by time I found out that soy wasn't so great either, we were already 2+ months into the diet. Another reason I've been thinking about it so much is the fact that he has been having little spells of diarrhea ever few days. I'm still debating what to do from here but for now I'm keeping a food journal to see if I can pinpoint a food culprit.

ABA from EI starts tomorrow so now we will be in full swing. 14 hours per week! I wish it was the recommended 30-40 but 14 is more than I ever expected he would get so I am just really thankful. Last week he started PECS both the book and a schedule. He understands checking the schedule but has yet to realize the picture is representative of what is coming next.

Oh and before I forget, Thomas over at the autism experience tagged me to write about 5 of my favorite things so here they are:

1. Spending time with our families back in Texas - I just love it when we are all together. It may sound cheesy but it really does give you that warm cozy feeling inside.

2. Reading - I don't get to do very much of these days, in fact the 3 library books I checked out have been renewed once and they are all over due as I type this and I only made through half of one! But I digress...I love true crime books the most.

3. Going on vacations - Usually just the vacation part though. I hate getting there and leaving LOL. I just enjoy getting to do stuff away from everyday life and love seeing new places.

4. Mexican Food - There is some good places here in California but I still miss Tex-Mex food very very much!!

5. My children - Thomas is very right; There isn't anything better than being a parent. I just love watching them grow, learn, smile, laugh, everything.

4 comments:

Cyndi said...

That's great!...We only get 6 hours ABA.
I would try the diet again...and this time for 6 motnhs. You can limit soy but unless he's allergic you don't have to get rid of it completely. (We use Almond milk but some of Matthew's foods are made from soy.)
If you can afford a DAN, go for it! There are a few in/near San Diego...the younger Dr Sears is one on them.

Casdok said...

Your right there isnt anything better than being a parent!!!

B said...

I would encourage you to try it! shoot, we should all be on gfcf diets! lol as for a DAN, you can learn a lot of the basics with some of the online Yahoo groups. Of course, it's best to have the direction of a DAN doc.

For the diarrhea, probiotics should help as well as the diet!

Jill said...

There are so many wonderful foods out there that are GFCF and soy free. Soy is like a sibling to gluten (maybe a cousin) and getting rid of soy too will really help. It isn't so much that you will see a huge difference in his behavior (for some it is a behavior improvement) as it is that his body is being hurt by it. I would love to help you if you want to give it another try.

I used DAN for almost five years and discovered Dr. Yasko's protocol. It is more child specific based on DNA. Worth a try.