Thursday, July 2, 2009

Homemade Mini Corn Dogs


As I started searching for more easy meal ideas, I came across several recipes for mini corn dogs. I thought that they would be great not only b/c they are a finger food but they probably taste almost normal considering most of what the recipe calls for is corn meal which is in real corn dogs. After google searching, most recipes called for the same ingredients, the only difference being what type of gf flour people used and that some people added a few tbsp. of oil to the batter. I saw some that called for a general GF blend and others who used 2 or more type of other flours. I decided to follow the recipe from Kathi's blog at http://kathi-gfcf.blogspot.com/ mainly b/c I had her two flours on hand and the way she prepared the corn dogs seemed very easy and very little mess.

Mini Corn Dogs
1/4 C garbanzo bean flour
1/4 C white rice flour
1/2 C yellow cornmeal
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg (or egg substitute which we use)
1 c. milk substitute (we used Dari Free potato milk)

Mix dry ingredients then add the egg and milk. Here is where I loved Kathi's method. She says to cut the hot dogs into six pieces each and then put a piece on the end of a skewer to batter and fry. This was great and made virtually no mess. Fry to golden brown. I assume you could also make regular size corn dogs with this recipe using popsicle sticks.

I found that if I put 3 in the fryer, by the time I got 3 more skewered and battered, the other ones were ready to come out. My corn dogs were not as thick as commercial ones but they tasted great. I made an entire package (could've made 2 with the leftover batter) and froze the rest for lunches.

Also, my neighbor came over and said that when she worked at a corn dog stand, they used to fry all sorts of things in the batter but one of the better tasting things was bananas. She said it comes out like banana waffles. Interesting, I just might have to try that one soon!

No comments: