Monday, January 21, 2008

Not a word but a sound!!!

Austin is making the "B" sound for simple b words that he knows such as bubbles and bite. I haven't really heard him do it for bubbles until Friday's session with his OT but bite has been pretty consistent for a few weeks.

It is very odd though b/c he takes his fingers and rubs them on his lips to make the "buh" sound. I did get it on video so maybe if I can manage to get technically savvy, then I can upload the clip.

I am very happy and we give him what he is asking for when he does that but at the same time I don't want him to think that is talking and a word and never learn the real way to ask either!!

Some other really great things that he has learned to do recently is blow kisses and clap his hands when we say "yay!". He is also doing the signs "more", "drink", "all done", "please", and "book" pretty consistently which is extremely nice.

4 comments:

GFCF Mommy said...

Keep up the good work! The Prince's first word, uttered in speech therapy was "bubble" and started with the "b" then two sort of buh sounds and after awhile he said it!

It's great that Austin has been able to use signs, in the meantime.

Katherine

Cyndi said...

Way to go!!!

N said...

I guess b is a very popular sound to start with! Victor started with "ba"

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was reading some of your blogs, I too have a son who just turned 2 who has been diagnosed w/ ASD @ the age of 21 mths. I did the GFCF diet since Nov and I did see some improvements in Blake. He is a pretty fussy eater and up until now I have kind of eased back in gluten and some casein.. Not too much has changed. I'm writing because Kirkman Labs does have some great products. I bought Super Nu thera in the liquid form that I use w/ his juice. If you haven't already you should read louder than words by Jenny Mccarthy. My son has yet to say a first word, but we are hopeful.