Saturday, September 22, 2007

Shopping at a regular grocery store

I'm not sure how many gfcf families have had this problem, but our local grocery store carries next to nothing gfcf! I knew that I was going to be purchasing many items at health food stores but I had no idea just how much. Here's what I picked up for Austin today at the local grocery:

Hebrew National all beef hot dogs
ground beef (for hamburger patties)
diced ham
Prego 100% natural spaghetti sauce
grapes
plums
pears
silk yogurt
Quaker apple cinnamon rice cakes
Bite Sized Tostitos Rounds
Bush's Baked Beans (original)
Rosarita Refried Beans

I also bought some freezer storage bags and froze individual servings of the meat and hot dogs. This method will ensure that I don't waste anything and I can pull out just enough for Austin at meal times.

I was at least hoping to find some gf pasta and some vegan cheese but no such luck. They actually carried the Silk milk but I am hoping to find some rice milk tomorrow when we go the the health food store. One good thing is that my toddler is not very picky when it comes to eating and I feel like at first, this diet maybe simpler than what I had originally thought. He is not a bread eater so I can wait a while before I have to get brave and try my hand at baking. I have read on several other gfcf blogs that this diet can be quite easy if you go back to basics, like meat, rice, veggies, and fruit to start with and that is exactly what I think we'll be starting with.

1 comment:

missybee said...

Hi, I found rice-milk at Walmart in the food aisle with health bars. It is in a box and because it is not dairy it doesn't require refrigeration- that is why it is in such an odd spot. Price is about the same as other milks and they have the "original, vanilla, and enriched" versions. It tastes pretty sweet and somewhat nutty, so my kids love it better than any other type of milk. Good luck!