Friday, September 28, 2007

Yummy Mexican Food!

I am so happy! My MIL sent me 2 boxes of rice penne pasta b/c I haven't found any yet and she also sent me some Red Mill flour so I can try those grinch fries I have been wanting to make. Next week Austin should finally get some variety! She also sent me the Jenny McCarthy book so I am really looking forward to reading it.

Nothing new to report today, except the potatoes I made for Austin at dinner for a different side. I just cut up some red potatoes, drizzled them with oil and seasoned with garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and baked for about 15 min.

I'm not sure where this recipe came from but my MIL sent it to me via email today and I'm going to try it with Austin next week after I make it to the grocery store. It is GF and you can make it CF by not using cheese at all or by using the veggie cheese/toffuti, which I still have not found btw. And if everyone is lucky, I just might post pictures ;)

Open-face Mexican Chalupas (serves 4)

2 Tbs. veg. oil, divided
1 lb. lean beef
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, drained
4 corn tortillas
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (not essential since you are not doing dairy)
chopped iceburg lettuce or romaine
1 red pepper, diced
1 green pepper, diced
Other Topping Options: guacamole, corn or other veggies

1. Heat 1 Tbls. oil in large skillet . Add ground meat, and cook until evenly browned. Add black beans and tomatoes, and simmer 5 minutes.
2. Heat remaining 1 Tbls. oil in another skillet. Cook torillas till golden and puffed then flip. Repeat with remaining tortillas add more oil if necessary. (Actually, I left the tortillas soft)
3. Place one tortilla in middle of plate. Top with generous amount of meat mixture --sprinkle with cheese and lettuce and toppings.

No comments: