Thursday, October 11, 2007

Another good dinner...


It cooled off where we live today so instead of Mexican chalupas we had homemade jambalaya. I love jambalaya and we actually used to eat the box kind from Zatarins but it is really too spicy for my taste. After I had Austin, I went on the South Beach Diet to lose the baby weight and I found some really great recipes in their cookbooks. The jambalaya recipe is taken from their Quick and Easy Cookbook. An added bonus was that it is GFCF so below is the recipe. The original recipe calls for chicken but b/c of DH's allergy, I add shrimp or sausage. I also use onion instead of scallions. If you have a good GFCF cornbread recipe, it would be a great side.

Jambalaya

1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into small pieces)
1 tbsp evoo
2 bunches scallions (reserve 2 tbsp for garnish)
1 green bell pepper chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
1/2 cup minute brown rice
1/8 tsp cajun seasoning or cayenne
2 cups low sodium chicken broth (I use beef or veggie - Also read your label)
1 can diced tomatoes (14oz)
Salt & Pepper

Heat oil in skillet. Add seasoned chicken, scallions, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook until veggies are tender. Stir in rice and cajun seasoning/cayenne. Add broth and tomatoes with juice and bring to a boil. Simmer until liquid is absorbed about 30 min.

An additional note: I use Swanson Beef Broth 99% fat free. I called the company to verify that it is GFCF and they sent me a list of all their GFCF products. But it does have MSG & yeast extract in it for those limiting or avoiding that.

2 comments:

N said...

I've never had Jambalaya before - I think any time I've gone to New Orleans it always had seafood in it. I can try this chicken recipe though - sounds yummy!

Unknown said...

Yumm! Yes it is great with chicken too! When DH was in boot camp I made it with chicken all the time :)