Friday, October 5, 2007

Is pork OK?

I made carmelized pork slices tonight for dinner and went ahead and gave some to Austin along with some veggies and fruit. With all the information on this diet out there, I was wondering if pork is okay for him to eat. I know that some people on this diet strictly avoid or minimize the amount of nitrates eaten. I know that nitrates can be found in most hot dogs, ham, and bacon so I wonder how much if any are in pork ribs, pork chops, etc. With DH's allergy to chicken, we only eat pork and beef in our household. If you read this blog and are already following the GFCF diet, please give me your feed back on this situation. Any info will be appreciated!

3 comments:

GFCF Mommy said...

Well, we eat ham, pork chops and pork tenderloin in moderation, but none of us are allergic to chicken. You can find "free range" chicken and beef, but it is hard to find the same thing for pork, so while we eat it, we don't have it more than a couple of times a month. But like I said, we can have chicken. Can your son have turkey or is that a problem too?

Given the allergy, "the other white meat" is a probably a good option. We do limit nitrates in hot dogs and bacon, which my son eats more often. Actually we buy beef or turkey dogs often. But this doesn't really have to do with being GFCF, it more has to do with not wanting to eat things with a lot of preservatives and additives.

If pork is not causing a problem, I think it's ok in moderation, especially given the allergies.

Katherine

N said...

Does his allergy extend out to other fowl - like turkey & duck? Does your pedi recommend staying away from chicken? Can there be a test run? It seems a shame to just avoid it just in case! Is it very prominent in DH family? Like do most of his family members also have this allergy? Sorry for all the questions!
I have no idea about pork since we don't eat it but I imagine its not the same as the hot dogs which is processed. We always give Victor all beef hot dogs which isn't so bad I think.

tcd said...

One thing you can do is buy kosher - then you won't have any of the nitrates. Hebrew National hot dogs are a great find because of this.