Sunday, October 7, 2007

Hippotherapy and yummy potato soup

Thomas from gfcfexperience.blogspot.com recently wrote to me to tell me about Hippotherapy and how it really helped with his dcs development. It seems really neat and I can see from his latest blog how this technique can work for children especially with balance and coordination. Unfortunately, I looked up therapists in my area at americanhippotherayassociation.com and surprise surprise there are none :( I am still planning to ask my ST about it next week though just in case she knows someone involved in it.

DH and I had a very delicious potato soup for dinner and while Austin couldn't have any this time, I am planning on trying to make a GFCF version in the future. I'll have to experiment though with milk substitutes though b/c from what I heard, not everything is equal. If you have any suggestions, please let me know! Here is the recipe:

2 cups cut potatoes
1 cup cubed ham
3 cups milk
1 small onion chopped
3 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp sugar
salt
pepper

Boil potatoes until soft. Drain, reserving one cup starchy water. In pot, combine butter, flour, onion, salt and pepper. Slowly add potatoes, reserved water, milk, ham, and sugar. Simmer for 30 min, stirring frequently.

Additionally, this recipe called for cheese but I know in the future that I will have to omit that.

1 comment:

tcd said...

J,

Don't gife up - actually none of the hippotherapists we have ever used are listed. I don't know if that is because you need to pay or what. Asking your esixting therapists is a great idea. That is how we found the one we used here in Montana. When we lived in Georgia, I think we found our therapist using Google.

Good luck, and please keep me posted.

Thomas