Thursday, October 4, 2007

Grocery stores are frustrating!!!

When we moved to Virginia, we found out that we were going to be living an hour away from basically civilization :) Anyhoo, it's not very often that I get to venture out to health food stores so I have to try to rely on the local grocery for Austin's basic foods. I friend of mine said she was feeding her toddler some risotto with veggies and so I go to look for the risotto and the grocery store doesn't carry it. It's risotto, basically rice and I can't even find that here. But I did buy some bananas and some more fruit. Austin hasn't really liked bananas as a whole food. I think it was more the texture than the flavor that he didn't like b/c he would always stick them in his mouth and then right back out. But now that he's had so much more foods and textures, I'm going to introduce them again. Then I went to go look for the Silk yogurt and the store had some other strawberry fruit drink in it's place. So I guess I can't count on this store to carry anything long term. So frustrating!!!

One other item off topic was just the fact that I have been giving this diet a lot of though lately. Even if this diet doesn't work for us, I now realize how much crap is added into many foods and at least I feel like Austin is eating really really healthy now. He is eating so much more fruit and veggies every day and that's is one thing that I would like to continue doing.

1 comment:

GFCF Mommy said...

I hear you, frustrating! I do live in a big urban area and I still have to drive about an hour to the best health food store to get odds and ends our regular grocery does not have. I try to do it once a month. Is there anything at all in driving distance or are you just too isolated?

Where are you in Virginia? We used to live outside Charlottesville for many years. One advantage to rural areas is farmer's markets and local stores that will order stuff for you.

You can get some GFCF dry good things by mail order, have you tried that route? It won't help you with silk yogurt or perishables, but you can order rice pastas, special baked mixes, etc. If you need some suggestions I would be happy to help.

You are right, I think, about eating healthier even if you are not GFCF in the end.

Katherine